Avocado can be easily digested, hence making it a preferable solid food for little ones. The fruit is easily available and you can start giving your little one avocado from the age of four to six months old. Carbohydrates and fats which are to be found in avocados are necessary nutrients for the child’s development, especially during the first couple of years. The benefit of this fruit is that it includes a healthy kind of fat and fresh avocados do not have cholesterol or sodium. Avocados have an excellent amount of nutrients which adds to your child’s recommended daily value, including 4% vitamin E, 8% fiber, 4% vitamin B6, 4% potassium, 4% pantothenic acid, 4% vitamin C, 2% iron, 4% riboflavin, and 6% folate.
Avocado Baby Food Recipes
How to choose an avocado?
Avocado is a great choice that can be easily bought year around when it comes to select first solid foods for your child. It is a great source of fat and other important nutrients. When purchasing avocados, consider their texture and do make sure that they are spongy, and it should yield slightly yet firm when you press it. Go for avocados that are bumpy in texture and are dark green in colour. Mixing foods is recommended as it gives your little one a wider taste palate and numerous sources of nutrition. You can as a resulting mix and mash avocados with pears, applesauce, yogurt, peaches and other foods.
Avocado is not a vegetable. It is a fruit. Avocado doesn’t need to be cooked. It is a great first food for babies because of its high nutritional value.
- Slice the avocado in half.
- Completely remove the stone.
- Scoop out the pulp or flesh.
- Blend it with a little formula or breast milk even little water will work and feed it to your baby.
Avocado Fruit Salad
- Three completely ripped avocados
- Three bananas
- Three steamed pears
- And yogurt (only if your little one is 8 months+)
- Wash and clean the fruits and also remove the seeds.
- Peel and slice them up into cubes before putting them into a blender or food processor.
- Blend till you have your required texture.
- Add a tablespoon or less of the yogurt.
- For grown-up children, you don’t have to blend.
- Dice the fruits into smaller cubes and drizzle some yogurt on top of the fruits.
Avocado and Mango
- One completely ripped avocado
- One Mango
- Lean the fruits and completely remove the seeds.
- Cut both the fruits into small cubes then blend them till they get smooth.
- Now you can add some water, juice or yogurt to make the consistency creamier.
Avocado Served with Cream Cheese
- 1 avocado
- Cream cheese
- Crushed cheerios or Wheat germ
- Cereals, toast, or crackers
- Simply peel, then slice the ripped avocado into small cubes before mixing them with a fork.
- Add some cream cheese and mix till it gets smooth as desired.
- You can add some wheat germ or crushed cheerios and give them a shape of small balls,
- Now spread the avocado mixture on toast or crackers.
- Occasionally, you can also blend with your breakfast cereals.
- 1 avocado
- Unsweetened apples or applesauce
- Slice the avocado in half and blend it with a fork in a large bowl.
- Add about half a cup of the unsweetened applesauce into another same bowl and then mix the two.
- On the other hand, you can also boil a few apples and place them in a blender or food processor, then mash the avocado with the pureed apples.
Mixture of Avocado, White Beans and Turkey
- 1 avocado
- White beans ( 1 can)
- Ground turkey
- Slice the ripped avocado in half, then blend it.
- Place one-third of the canned beans in a small bowl and mix them partially.
- Then add one-third cup of the ground turkey into the bowl.
- Mix all ingredients and then add some milk.
- It is ready to serve now.
- You can also use a blender or food processor to have a better consistency at the place of mashing.
Steamed Cauliflower and Rice Mixed with Avocado
- Cooked rice about half a cup
- Cauliflower (Steamed)
- Olive oil
- Mix one-third of the steamed cauliflower and half of the avocado in a bowl.
- Combine the mashed cooked rice,avocado and cauliflower, in a large bowl.
- Blend the ingredients slowly.
- You can also add one teaspoon of olive oil to smoothen the mixture.